Sunday 3 September 2017

Lars Mandurriao Batchoy






Lars Mandurriao batchoy can be marked out as different yet familiar: it's done to a turn, a nice warming coconut-shell of noodle soup. It has firm noodles and tasty coconut strips with a crisp texture. I love the crunch of its pork scratchings and the soup's natural coconut-y sweetness, and saltiness.

The combo of salty and sweet is one that doesn't work, but magically and deliciously does in a batchoy, I reckon. I can't get enough of it. The combo is heavenly. What's behind this phenomenon? Well, I don't know. But I think Lars Mandurriao batchoy is the tastiest breakthrough in the realm of batchoy experience in Iloilo City.

The batchoy, a union of Ilonggo tradition and modern creativity, is something rich and strange changing the templates of my consciousness. It has triggered a new understanding of the depth of who I am, someone, I've realised, who can be enticed to leave behind the sensory expectations of the familiar and take off for something new, something different.

The batchoy has granted me a return to innocence. It has not only woken up the digestion but granted me sufficient fire in the stomach for insight and for risk and adventure. 

Lars has indeed brought a touch of novelty to traditional catering without forgetting to give the batchoy gustative and visual value.


The resto is in De Leon Street in Mandurriao District, Iloilo City. 

No comments:

Post a Comment