Thursday 19 September 2013

The Three Pufferfish on Islas de Gigantes

a poem by Roger B Rueda

They move through seawater like dry leaves,
their mouths supping the sharpness
of water on rocks, their fins
so dusky grey.
I kneel and scoop one after another
into my palms.
They puff out their fat middle
and let out a lungful
of cool breath,
grey balloons come out in the twinkling  of an eye.
I think of phobias
as I am shivering with fear.
I take them to a small plastic bottle
whose water I’ve poured out
and filled with seawater.
The fish swim in as if they bolted;
the three seem talking about the strangeness
and overpowering force –
or perhaps their shared mindfulness
and terror
are held by their muteness.
Our boat goes to another island.
The fish move their body
through the water in the bottle,
gulping air into their gills.
I am praying in my mind
the fish stay alive.
I am deeply nervous that the fish
die once we come to the island –
the fish look particularly frail.
I keep an eye on them tensely.
Finally, our boat moors on the island.
I go down and let out the fish,
the morning very radiant
and the water warm and pellucid.
In silence, the three fish swim their life
to a new abode, wrenching my imagination
to the force of the unfamiliar, of the arcane.






No comments:

Post a Comment