Saturday 9 April 2011

American and British English: Variations in Grammar

an essay by Roger B Rueda

English is not monotonous, it has variety (i.e., being American and British) but is very comparable that most American and British speakers can recognise each other without great intricacy, bar in the Philippines where most Filipinos join them together (and remain blissfully ignorant of the troubles that lay ahead). There are, so far, some differences of syntax, expressions, and spelling. The following guide is intended to make the most important dissimilarities between American English (AmE) and British English (BrE) known.

USE OF THE PRESENT PERFECT

The British employ the present perfect to talk about a past action which has a result on the present moment. The simple past and present perfect, in AmE, are equally possible in such situations.

I have lost my ballpoint. Can you borrow me yours? (BrE)
I lost my ballpoint. or I have lost my ballpoint. (AmE)
She has gone to the cinema. (BrE)
She went to the cinema. or She has gone to the cinema. (AmE)

Other differences take account of the use of already, just, and yet. The British use the present perfect with these adverbs of imprecise time. In AmE, the simple past and present perfect are together likely.

Martin has just gone to the cinema. (BrE)
Martin just went to the cinema. or Martin has just gone to the cinema. (AmE)
I have already seen this film. (BrE)
I have already seen this movie. or I already saw this movie. (AmE)
Katrina hasn't come yet. (BrE)
Katrina hasn't come yet. or Katrina didn't come yet. (AmE)

POSSESSION

The British on the whole use have got to demonstrate ownership. In AmE, have (in the structure do you have) and have got are equally possible.

Have you got a house in Iloilo City? (BrE)
Do you have a house in Iloilo City? or Have you got a house in Iloilo City? (AmE)

USE OF THE VERB GET 

In BrE, the past participle of get is got. In AmE, the past participle of get is gotten, but when have got means have.

They have got an award. (BrE)
They have gotten an award. (AmE)
Marie has got two babies. (BrE)
Marie has got two babies. (=Marie has two babies.) (AmE)

USE OF THE AUXILIARY VERB WILL/SHALL 

In BrE, it is reasonably common to use shall with the first person to talk about the future. Americans hardly ever use shall.

If you do that one more time, I shall/will be very cross. (BrE)
If you do that one more time, I will be very cross. (AmE)

In offers, the British use shall. Americans use should.

‘I'm cold.’ ‘Shall I close this window?’ (BrE)
‘I'm cold.’ ‘Should I close this window?’ (AmE)

USE OF THE VERB NEED 

In BrE, needn't and don't need to are both possible. Americans on average use don't need to.

You needn't come until later. or You don't need to come until later. (BrE)
You don't need to come until later. (AmE)

USE OF THE SUBJUNCTIVE

In AmE, it is predominantly common to use subjunctive after words like essential, vital, important, suggest, insist, demand, recommend, ask, advice etc. (Subjunctive is a special kind of present tense which has no -s in the third person singular. It is frequently used in that clauses after words which convey the thought that something is essential or advantageous.)

In BrE, the subjunctive is formal and extraordinary. British people on the whole use should + infinitive or ordinary present and past tenses.

It is essential that every worker get an chance to be trained. (AmE)
It is essential that every worker gets an chance to be trained. (BrE)
It is important that he be notified. (AmE)
It is important that he should be notified. (BrE)
My co-worker suggested that I see an expert. (AmE)
My co-worker suggested that I should see an expert. (BrE)
My sister insisted that I go with her. (AmE)
My sister insisted that I should go with her. (BrE)

COLLECTIVE NOUNS

Collective nouns like family, government, jury, team, etc., can take both singular and plural verbs in BrE. In AmE, they by and large take a singular verb.

The board meets/meet next week. (BrE)
The board meets next week. (AmE)
The team is/are going to lose. (BrE)
The team is going to lose. (AmE)

AUXILIARY VERB + DO

In BrE, it is common to use do as a substitute verb after an auxiliary verb. Americans do not in general use do after an auxiliary verb.

May I have a look at your manuscript? You may (do) (BrE)
You may. (AmE)
'Have you finished your assignments?' 'I have (done).' (BrE)
'I have.' (AmE)

AS IF/ LIKE

In AmE, it is common to use like instead of as if/ as though. This is not correct in BrE.

He talks as if he knew poetry. (BrE)
He talks like/as if he knew poetry. (AmE)

In AmE, it is also common to use were instead of was in unreal comparisons.

He talks as if he was not guilty. (BrE)
He talks as if he were not guilty. (AmE)

THE INDEFINITE PRONOUN ONE

Americans more often than not use he/she, him/her, his/her to refer back to one. In BrE, one is used all through the sentence.

One must love one's alma mater. (BrE)
One must love his/her alma mater. (AmE)

MID POSITION ADVERBS

In AmE, mid position adverbs are placed before auxiliary verbs and other verbs. In BrE, they are placed after auxiliary verbs and before other verbs.

I will probably be home by midnight. (BrE)
I probably will be home by midnight. (AmE)
We do seldom receive any apology when mistakes are made. (BrE)
We seldom do receive any apology when mistakes are made. (AmE)

PREPOSITIONS

There are also not many differences in preposition use.

on the weekend (AmE)
at the weekend (BrE)

on a team (AmE)
in a team (BrE)

Please write me soon. (AmE)
Please write to me soon. (BrE)

Your grammar may sometimes be good, but the problem is you’re not consistent.  It's important to show some consistency in your work, accordingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment