Saturday 10 September 2011

Askals

a poem by Roger B Rueda

Two askals are mating outside my window
in the lavender lantanas
and the rain.
It's 6 AM, the clouds
falling down in the side garden,
dark as drizzly dusk.
They have a smooth brown coat, his face
behind and above her face,
a conjoined image. His claws
clutch her backend.
She yelps. He bears down.
He'll keep her where he's caught her
between the umbrella tree
and the green bamboo fence
until it's done.
I am drawn to them
as to something sacred.
I put Bugoy Drilon’s
‘Nang Dahil sa Pag-ibig’
on the CD player
and begin keeping in shape. They have
keen ears,
but I have vanished in their perseverance.
One last sharp scream from her
and I see him moseying
towards the bougainvillea
pruned and thorny
against the back hedge.
She is nowhere to be seen.
The lavender lantanas
have just begun
to blossom sending a sweet scent out
through all the greens of the neighbourhood.



No comments:

Post a Comment