Sunday 1 May 2011

I’ve Got A Cat to See Me

a poem by Roger B Rueda

As the setting sun touched
the trees with red,
a tabby cat
was miaowing
pitifully
outside the door.
We had heavy rain
all day.
As I went out,
it came too near me
and wagged its tail
graciously and
repeatedly curled it
round my leg.
I felt a shiver
down my spine.
I bade it to go in
at once,
my hand gesturing
plainly
in the direction
of my room.
I fed it Lucky Me
chow mein.
It didn't feel
like eating,
but it was trying
its hardest to live,
so I cooked it
enormous meals:
chicken adobo
and menudo.
In a while,
it curled up on the sofa
to sleep.
I covered it up
with a towel.
It loved to be petted
and tickled behind
the ears.
I thought fate
had brought
us together, while
doodling all over my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment